SSCF Fall Hunting Aside Weekend
19-21 October 2018
Join the SSCF for a HUNTING ASIDE weekend!
Based out of Middleburg, VA, known as the nation's "horse and hunt capital," riders will have the opportunity to learn or practice their hunting aside skills and then get in several days of hunting, as well as enjoy social events. Bring your own horse, or hire an experienced hunter! Riders are expected to bring their own side saddles. Some side saddles may be available for use, but this is not guaranteed. All sideways riders from around the world are welcome! Please note, junior riders should have a responsible adult riding with them.
- Fri, 19 Oct - FOX HUNTING X-C CLINIC:
- 12-2 pm - Whether you've never hunted before or are a known thruster, this is your opportunity to hone your cross-country hunting skills with international foxhunter Devon Zebrovious. This 2-hour clinic will focus on crossing Virginia hunt country in a group, at various paces. Riders will work on skills needed to hunt, including going up/down hills, sharp turns, crossing small and deep streams and ditches, moving at speed in open fields, going through the woods, checks/hold hards, reverse fields, and hunt fences for those jumping. ASTM/SEI-approved helmets are required; safety vests are optional. Astride riders are welcome to join in as well!
- 7 pm - Cocktail party and member's meeting at Cherry Blossom Farm by the kind invitation of Mr. & Mrs. George Kuk
- Sat, 20 Oct - FOX HUNTING DAY 1:
- Join the SSCF for a day of hunting with Middleburg Hunt from Foxhole Farm. There will be jumping and non-jumping fields. The hunt will be followed by a tailgate breakfast, courtesy of Col. & Mrs. Jim Nichols. Bringing along a beverage to share is always appreciated! As this is autumn hunting, informal/tweed attire is traditionally worn, but formal attire is always appropriate.
- Sun, 21 Oct - FOX HUNTING DAY 2:
- Join the SSCF for a day of hunting with Loudoun Fairfax Hunt. There will be jumping, non-jumping, and Walk/Trot-only fields. As this is autumn hunting, informal/tweed attire is traditionally worn, but formal attire is always appropriate.
- Clinic & Cocktail Party: $60 (includes a SSCF individual membership for the remainder of 2018 + 2019 competition years)
- Fri Cocktail Party only: $15 (non-SSCF members); NC for 2018 SSCF-members
- Hunting with Middleburg Hunt: $100 cap fee for SSCF members*; $150 cap fee for non-SSCF members
- Hunting with Loudoun Fairfax Hunt: $50 cap fee for SSCF members*; $100 cap fee for non-SSCF members
*ASTM-SEI approved safety helmets are required in order to receive the discounted cap fee. You must register by no later than Oct 12, 2018 in order to receive a token to hand to the hunt secretary at the meet indicating you are a SSCF member and receive a discounted cap fee.
- We have coordinated with two local hireling providers to supply riders with horses for the weekend. Both have a limited number of horses for the clinic and both days of hunting, for either the jumping or non-jumping fields. Please book in with them directly, first come first served. Please be sure to let them know your experience level, if you plan to jump, your preferred type of ride, and the fit of your saddle. Horses will arrive at the meet location clean and bridled (and saddled if going astride); you will tack them up with your saddle, then mount and hunt; after the meet, you will return them to the hireling owner who will take care of them.
- Briar Patch Bed & Breakfast Inn, Middleburg/Aldie, VA
- Red Fox Inn & Tavern, Middleburg, VA
- Salamander Resort and Spa, Middleburg, VA
- Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, Middleburg, VA
- Ashby Inn & Restaurant, Paris/Upperville, VA
- The Windswept Inn, Round Hill, VA
- Quail Run Farm, Marshall, VA. Rooms and house available (also stabling). Book with Cindy at (540) 729-3530 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Airwell Bed & Breakfast, Purcellville/Round Hill, VA
- Inner Bay Equestrian, Middleburg, VA - 2 rooms available (also stabling) at private farm
- Air BnB options in/around Middleburg, VA
- VRBO options in/around Middleburg, VA
- There are also hotels in Leesburg, VA (~20 min north), Chantilly, VA (~20 min east), and Winchester, VA (~30 min west)
- Deerfield Stables, Upperville, VA. 2+ stalls and turnout. Book with Katie at email@example.com
- Quail Run Farm, Marshall, VA. 6 stalls and turnout. Book with Cindy at (540) 729-3530 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Inner Bay Equestrian, Middleburg, VA. 2 stalls and turnout. Book with Mary at InnerBayLLC@gmail.com
- K & L Sporthorses, Middleburg, VA. 4-5 stalls and 3 paddocks for turn out. Book with Katy at email@example.com
- Harter Hause, Bloomfield/Upperville, VA. 2 stalls with private turnout. Book with Robyn
- Fox Ridge Stables, Middleburg, VA. 2 stalls and turnout. Book with Kristen
- Over the Grass Farm, The Plains, VA. 4-5 stalls and possible turnout. Book with Shannon
- Country Fox Farm, Middleburg, VA. 4-6 stalls available. Book with Paige at (757) 572-1100
- Willow Bend Farm, Bloomfield/Round Hill, VA. 4 stalls and possible turnout. Book with Mara at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Terra Oasis Farm, Philomont, VA. 2 stalls and turnout. Book with Melanie by text at (703) 850-8738
Other Things to Do/local attractions:
- Middleburg Film Festival (18-21 Oct 2018) - So you weren't able to attend the Cannes film festival? No worries, just visit the village to experience this highly acclaimed annual event. Take in a movie or two after hunting! Purchase your tickets early so your desired show is not sold out. More info at www.middleburgfilm.org/
- National Sporting Library & Museum - Experience the new exhibit, "Sidesaddle, 1690-1935". This exhibit will present a revealing perspective on the history and culture of women as equestrians, their depictions in sporting art, and the evolution of sidesaddle tack and attire represented in British, Continental, and American art from the 17th to the 20th centuries. The exhibition will showcase approximately fifty paintings, works on paper, and sculptures on loan from museums and private collections. Co-curators Dr. Ulrike Weiss, Lecturer at the University of St. Andrews in Scotland, and Claudia Pfeiffer, the George L. Ohrstrom, Jr. Curator of Art at NSLM, are contributing essays to the accompanying catalog. More info at http://www.nationalsporting.org/nslm/exhibition_details/797
- Winery and Brewery Tours & Tastings - The Middleburg-area is host to multiple award winning wineries and breweries. You can find more information on them at https://www.visitloudoun.org/things-to-do/
Interested in hunting more days?
You can hunt every day of the week within 30 minutes of Middleburg. This is the schedule for the closest hunts (listed alphabetically):
- Monday: Middleburg Hunt, Orange County Hunt, Warrenton Hunt
- Tuesday: Blue Ridge Hunt, Piedmont Foxhounds
- Wednesday: Loudoun Fairfax Hunt, Orange County Hunt, Snickersville Hounds, Warrenton Hunt
- Thursday: Blue Ridge Hunt, Middleburg Hunt, Piedmont Foxhounds
- Friday: Loudoun Fairfax Hunt
- Saturday: Blue Ridge Hunt, Middleburg Hunt, Piedmont Foxhounds, Orange County Hunt, Warrenton Hunt
- Sunday: Loudoun Fairfax Hunt, Snickersville Hounds
- Blue Ridge Hunt: Millwood, VA
- Loudoun Fairfax Hunt: Hamilton/Purcellville, VA
- Middleburg Hunt: Middleburg/Aldie, VA
- Orange County Hunt: Middleburg/Marshall/The Plains, VA
- Piedmont Foxhounds: Upperville/Bluemont/Delaplane, VA
- Snickersville Hounds: Middleburg, VA
- Warrenton Hunt: Warrenton, VA
Please contact each hunt directly to arrange to cap on additional days.