The first SSCF race of the season is over, and what a day for riders, horses, and spectators! We had a great turnout in both races. Everyone was at Oatlands early for the 9:15 AM course walk, and we so appreciate the attention that everyone gave. The weather quickly became summer-like, so jackets were deemed optional. The SSCF, race spectators and Loudoun race officials could not have been more pleased with the way the races ran! All horses and riders had been properly prepped, and while the riders rode safely they were still very much racing -- based upon all of the video, there is no doubt that the crowed was fully engaged!
Results are as follows for the Mrs. George C. Everhart Memorial Side Saddle Race:
Jump Race (Horse - Rider - Owner - Trainer):
- In Todd We Trust - Devon Zebrovious - Cherry Blossom Farm - George Kuk
- Fort Henry - Stephanie Dowling - Stephanie Dowling - Stephanie Dowling
- Easy To Say No - Aurora Munyan - Lisa Munyan - Lisa Munyan
- Always Elegant - Dillyn Ketterman Millnick - Ketterman's Jewelers - Jackie McClintic
- Patrick - Sarah O'Halloran - Dr. & Mrs. Peter O'Halloran - Sarah O'Halloran
- Tango - Maureen Britell - Maureen Britell - George Kuk
- Little Lady - Amy Magee - Amy Magee - Amy Magee
- Best Turned Out Horse: Little Lady/Amy Magee
- Best Conditioned TB - Fort Henry/Stephanie Dowling
- Best Conditioned Non-TB - Little Lady/Amy Magee
In Todd We Trust, Easy to Say No and Fort Henry took turns setting the pace. In Todd We Trust took the lead down the backside, jumped the last fence on top and won going away. Winning Margin: 2 Winning Time: 4:30 Turf: firm. In Todd We Trust, dk.b./br. g. 2010, by Tiznow out of Horns Gray, by Pass the Tab. Bred by Gaines-Gentry Thoroughbreds, Dearborn Stables & Tom Van Meter (Ky)
Flat Race (Horse - Rider - Owner - Trainer):
- Reddington - Bernadette Boland - Bernadette Boland - George Kuk
- King of Hearts - Sarah Hansard - Cherry Blossom Farm - George Kuk
- The Gingerbread Man - Kathryn Cowles - Greystone Farm - Kathryn Cowles
- Tilly - Andrew J. Camp - Russell E. Shifflett, Jr. - Russell E. Shifflett, Jr.
- Aurelius - Jill Howson - Chad Traugott - Jill Howson
- Noble - Robin Somers-Strom - Robin Somers-Strom - Robin Somers-Strom
- Best Turned Out: King of Hearts/Sarah Hansard
- Best Conditioned TB - King of Hearts/Sarah Hansard
- Best Conditioned Non-TB: Noble/Robin Somers-Strom
Reddington and King of Hearts made most of the running. With a quarter mile to run Reddington pulled away to an easy victory. Winning Margin: 7 Winning Time: 1:48 3/5 Turf: firm. Reddington (reg. Turn Red), ch. g. 2008, by Turn West out of Violet Ransom, by Red Ransom.
Middleburg Photo, the SSCF's official photographer, again was on par for the day, and took some amazing shots of everyone before, during, and after the races. You can view their galleries here. There is also helmet cam video from the jump race, which can be viewed here.
A special thanks goes out to Greenhill Winery, Tri-County Feeds, Fashion, Finds, and Side Saddle Café/Fields of Athenry for allowing us to hold our awards ceremony in their tent on the race course and providing everyone with food and libations.